Lecture 8: Archaic and Classical Etruscan Sculpture
A. The Archaic Period 600-500 B.C.
1. Apollo of Veii- possibly by Vulca of Veii ca. 500 B.C.
2. The Temple of Apollo at Veii
3. Herakles vs. Apollo for the Sacred Hind of Artemis in Keryneia, Argos
4. The Style of Veii
a. Fussy ridges and deep hollows in drapery
b. Frozen power- prefabricated parts look, dynamic simplicity
c. Stereometrics and Guido Kaschnitz von Weinberg
d. Compare to the Greek sculpture : Anavysos Kouros
5. The Man and Woman Sarcophagus from Cerveteri- ca. 500 B.C.
a. The Archaic Smile
b. The Ionian Style
c. The role of women in Etruria
B. The Classical Ideal in Sculpture 500-300 B.C.
1. Contemporary with the Parthenon and the Golden Age of Athens
2. Greek influence- The Doryphoros or Spear-Bearer of Polykleitos 440 BC
3. The Todi Mars- ca. 380 B.C.
a. The Parthenon Pout
b. Contropposto begins 500 B.C.
c. Ahal Trutiois dunum dede
d. Etruscan problems with the Polykleitan canon