Lecture 6: Etruscan Tomb Painting at Tarquinia
The Tomb of Hunting and Fishing at Tarquinia- ca. 510 B.C.
A. The Tomb of the Lionesses, ca. 530 B.C.
1. Doric capitals
2. Funerary banquet with dancers
7. Cymbals and castanets
8. Eggs and kylix
B. The Archaic Style- Archaic smile, profile eye, stylization, 600-500 B.C.
C. The Tomb of the Augurs- ca. 530 B.C.
1. Bloody funeral games- blood sacrifices to dead
3. Tomb name is wrong-- a misnomer
4. Herakles and Cerberus in Tertullian
D. The Tomb of Hunting and Fishing at Tarquinia- ca. 510 B.C.
1. Paesaggio vs. Megalographic painting
2. Joie de vivre
3. Horror Vacui
5. Lack of taxis
6. Compare with Greek painting at Paestum, South Italy, Tomb of the Diver
E. Summary of the Archaic Style
1. Chunky figures more detailed than in Archaic III
2. Large heads, pointed beards, large feet and hands
3. Almond sideways facing eye, profile head, frontal torso, profile legs
4. Lack of contropposto or chiastic weight shift
5. Stylization of drapery and hair braids, echelon technique for horses and clothes