Lecture 33: Roman Mosaics
A. The Very First Mosaics
1. Mesopotamia- 4th millennium, Ur and Uruk
2. Gordion, Turkey- 8th century B.C. Phrygian pebble mosaics
3. Pella in Macedonia- Greek pebble mosaics 4th century B.C.
4. Carthage, Tunisia- 4th century B.C. the first true mosaics
5. Delos- Hellenistic Greek mosaics 2nd century B.C.
B. Roman Mosaics
1. All over patterns vs. emblemata
2. The Elements of a Roman Mosaic- Vitruvius
e. Interstices and grout
3. The Alexander Mosaic at Pompeii- House of the Faun ca. 80 B.C.
4. Encaustic Technique- painting in wax, The Knucklebone Players, Herculaneum
C. How to Lift a Roman Mosaic