Lecture 12: The Strange Civilization of Carthage
A. Carthaginian Architecture? Eclecticism
B. Coinage 3rd century B.C.
C. The Age of Hannibal- 3rd century B.C. wars with Rome- Punic Wars 264-146 BC [view an image of a map depicting the 2nd Punic Wars 218 -201 B.C.]
1. Houses in Carthage
2. Hannibal defeated at Zama, Tunisia in 202 B.C.
4. Ba'al Hammon and Tanit
5. Cinerary urns
E. Key Dates for Carthage
1. Ca. 800 B.C.- founded by Queen Dido and the Phoenicians
2. 6th to 4th centuries B.C.- The Golden Age, Mediterranean Power- Increasing democratization
3. 3rd century B.C.- The Punic Wars--Carthage against Rome
4. 146 B.C.- Complete destruction of Carthage by Scipio Aemilianus
5. Early First Century A.D.- rebuilding of Carthage by Augustus/Tiberius